While working on Pyro2 at Side Effects, some time was spend on simming and rendering dev tests. After incorporating a new feature (usability or tech related), a test drive was necessary.
Houdini 12’s Demo Video already shows what is capable using the new set of tools. But I though it might be interesting to see what was rendered trying to improve the tools.
All small tests were rendered using Mantra and simmed using the tools being worked on at that time. The Pyro 1 shader was used, as version 2 wasn’t available.
Note that leaving Velocity Blur off, some flames might appear a bit ‘blobsy’. The streaking effect will work better turning velocity blur on.
- Micro Polygon Rendering
- Volume Filter Width, 1 or 0.75
- 1 or 2k Transparent Depth Map shadows
- Max of 3 spot lights, classic 3 way lightning set-up
- Max 15 minutes a frame, 720×480
- In case of Clustering, Delayed Load archives were used (more memory efficient)
- 3-6 pixel samples
- Gaussian 2×2 Pixel Filter
- Temperature was used as a transparency mask for Heat
- No Noise
- No Velocity Blur
Explosion Playblast (viewport)